About our Feeding Clinic
Assential Therapies’ feeding clinic is a unique multidisciplinary practice that offers feeding and swallowing therapy for children from birth to 21 years of age. We work collaboratively with other professional disciplines such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, dieticians, and medical specialists including GI doctors, ENTs, and your pediatricians to address your child’s oral feeding development in a holistic manner. We look at feeding and swallowing issues not as an isolated breakdown within the mouth, but as a breakdown in the interaction of multiple body systems, which is necessary for a successful and enjoyable eating experience. Feeding issues not only take a toll on the child but on the entire family. Often parents ask what feeding treatment approach we use. Years of experience of treating children with feeding problems have taught us that it is not a specific treatment approach that leads to a successful feeding outcome, but it is an accurate assessment of where the systemic breakdown is and a plan for addressing those breakdowns.
Initial Evaluation - What to Expect
Learn more about what to expect during your initial feeding evaluation.
Who benefits from this program?
Infants and children who…
- Have difficulty nursing/bottle feeding
- Have difficulty transitioning from breast to bottle
- Have difficulty weaning off bottle
- Have difficulty transitioning to open cups and straws
- Are unable to consume liquids safely (e.g., choking, nasal regurgitation)
- Have difficulty gaining weight
- Have been discharged from NICU
- Have feeding tubes
- Are weaning off feeding tubes
- Have difficulty transitioning to solids and various food textures
- Are not developing adequate chewing skills
- Are picky eaters such that they do not consume a balanced and healthy diet
- Have restrictive and/or ritualistic diets
- Have sensory behavioral feeding disorders
- Have a history of GI conditions such as EOE, FPIES, allergic colitis, Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease
- Have a history of significant respiratory conditions
Do you still have concerns for your child’s feeding skills? Be proactive in finding out if help is needed. Early intervention is key to success – the earlier you seek help for your child, the better! Please call us to schedule a 15 mins free consultation!
Feeding Services are also available at the following locations limited days of the week:
- Wednesdays: 3633 West Lake Ave, Suite 103 Glenview, IL (Located at the Lurie Children’s Outpatient Services in Glenview location)
Meet Our Therapists
Our feeding therapists are fully licensed speech-language pathologists who have additional professional training in managing feeding and swallowing difficulties in pediatric populations. They maintain a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and maintain IL professional licenses. Many of our feeding therapists are also certified Early Intervention providers.